Monday, July 02, 2007

Monday Music Mania: A Capella Music

I fell in love with A Capella music (vocal music without instrumental accompaniment) in junior high school after seeing a video taped performance of Spike Lee's Do It A Capella in choir class. The program showcased multiple A Capella groups and even had a cameo by Samuel L. Jackson (before he was really famous!) I really wish the show was more readily available because it is fantastic. After years of searching, I came across a video tape online (though I paid significantly more than retail price). I would love to own this show on DVD!

Anyway, this week, I decided to include some groups and songs from the soundtrack to the program. Some of my favorites from the live show didn't make it onto the CD, but here are some favorites from the CD.

In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to devote a whole week to a couple of my favorite groups (Take 6 and Rockapella) from the program, so I won't include those songs here.

From Spike Lee's Do It A Capella


Looking for an Echo by The Persuasions



Higher and Higher by The Mint Juleps




Don't Let Your Heart by The Mint Juleps



I Need You
by True Image



The Lion Sleeps Tonight
by Ladysmith Black Mombazo & The Mint Juleps


No comments: