Friday, August 25, 2006

My Life as a Teacher Begins...

I finished my first week of teaching! I've learned a lot, especially that lecturing at 7am is going to be interesting. I really need to think of more group activities to do, but packing in all the material is almost impossible. It will definitely be a challenge!

Next week I start at San Diego State. The pace is even quicker there and I may have more students who "hate" math. Hopefully I can get through to some of them.

Anyway, I am including a couple of pictures I took last week on an overcast morning when I was at the community college where I teach. They recently built a new building to house the library and learning resource center, and I thought the art on the side was pretty cool. The campus is pretty nice, so I'll probably be taking more photos of campus in the coming months!

Here is the side of the building from a distance. With all the trees and such, I couldn't get a great shot of the whole thing.


If you pan to the left of the above photo, there is this, um, I'm not sure what to call it... It's a tall slab of concrete with the picture carved in it separate from the building itself. It's a bit hard to get it all in at a reasonable angle.

Here's a close-up without the stuff surrounding it...


This is a close-up of the art interspersed with the windows in the first shot...

2 comments:

Vikky said...

Good luck with teaching and getting those students to love math like you do! The... um walls of the building have... um interesting thingies on them! What are they? LOL They do look cool. And as always, you know I love your photographs!

Mailyn said...

Yikes, good luck and have fun! I would suck at this. I hate teaching. LOL.