Saturday, August 12, 2006

I'm It Again:)

Stacy tagged me to answer these questions. Books are a big part of my life, so I'm happy to answer:)

I'm not sure the answers will be all that profound and at the moment, one book has kind of taken over my thoughts, so it's a bit repetitive as well. I'll be posting some pictures later tonight and over the next couple of days....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1). One book that changed by life

The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson
I read it in college at the recommendation of my freshman writing teacher. It was for a term paper, but he suggested it because it was personally relevant and an issue I was starting to think a lot about: passing. I'm biracial (half black and half white), but I pretty much look white. It has made for both interesting experiences as well as identity issues throughout my life. As I've gotten older, I realize it has affected me in ways I didn't always realize. I could go on about it, but I'd probably be here all night!

2) One book I've read more than once

I've read many books more than once! I'm not sure where to start. The one that comes to mind right now is Shiloh Walker's Her Best Friend's Lover.


3) One book I would want on a deserted island

Um, well that's tough. I am horrible at making decisions:/ I think I'd probably go with Kelley and choose one of the Harry Potter books, but I sure hope I could take book 7 so I'd have the end to re-read. If not that one, then definitely Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It's my favorite book of the series so far.

4) One book that made me laugh

The first one that comes to mind is Sexylips66 by Dakota Cassidy. Those crazy emails are insanely hilarious! The book really involves the whole range of emotions though. This was a sort of tough question as I generally don't read romantic or other types of comedies. I'm not sure why. I think I just tend to go for the more heart-wrenching emotional type books. Of course, I got that too with this book!

5) One book that made me cry

Well, I tend not to read books that make me cry, but The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man made me cry at times.

6) One book I wish I had written

The only one I can think of is the GRE Math Subject Test Prep book. There is only one and it bites the big one. When I mentioned to my dad while I was studying for the test that it was really not helpful (before I started grad school), he told me to write a better one LOL!

7) One book I wish had never been written

I pretty much agree with Stacy and Kelley's answers on this. I'm against censorship, and I believe that people should be able to decide on issues for themselves (even though I don't always agree with the ideas presented). It makes me really angry any time I hear about places banning books.

8) One book I am currently reading

I haven't had much time to read lately. I'm in the middle of re-reading The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man. I haven't read it since college and so far it's been a little bit like reading a book I haven't read before. After reading almost the first half, there are quite a few things that happen in the beginning that I didn't remember.

9) One book I have been meaning to read

There are a lot of books that fit this topic as well! In addition to The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man, I'm really looking forward to Hunting the Hunter by Shiloh Walker and Taking the Cake by Kate Davies. Hopefully I'll have some free time after I get settled in to teaching after the first few weeks of classes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since it's been ages since I've blogged, I'm not sure who will stumble upon this, so I won't tag anyone specifically. Any of you reading this who haven't responded and want to do so, consider yourself tagged:)

No comments: