Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Movies...Sigh (or Should I Say Swoon?)

I returned to my apartment in Claremont for the weekend today, but it was a sweltering 85 degrees since I turned the AC off (I was gone for 2 weeks). I know from experience that it takes a good 4 hours to get the temp down to normal (well, my normal) when it's that hot, so I decided to go to the movies.

The times worked out best for me to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest for the second time, but I was really wanting to see Superman Returns. So what did I do? I drove on the freeway, in the direction of traffic, at rush hour, in Los Angeles just to see Superman Returns!

I was very skeptical when I first heard about this movie. Of course when the project first started, it sounded like they were going to remake the earlier movies. Since I loved those movies so much, I was a bit put off by the idea.

It's hard to describe how much I loved the Christopher Reeve Superman movies. We owned them all on Laser Disc. Yes, I said Laser Disc. That's an entirely different story though LOL. My sister was so in love with Superman as a little girl that she used to play the movie EVERY DAY and kiss the TV screen when he'd come on LOL!

In fact my dad mentioned two nights ago that he wondered if she is still single because she's still in love with Superman LOL! Now after watching the movie, I think I might be the one in love with Superman. A friend of mine (who shall remain nameless:P) has a thing for Batman. I realized in the movie today that Superman is to me what Batman is to her...sigh.

So can you tell that I loved this movie? I really did. I didn't want it to end. I stayed til the very end of the credits. That said, I have to say that I am soooo glad this movie is more of a sequel than a remake. It didn't take anything away from the earlier movies, and while I did mentally compare some things, I wasn't consumed by comparisons. I really wished this movie didn't have to end. Oh, did I say that already? I sure hope they make another one.

I liked Pirates of the Caribbean when I saw it on Friday (yes, opening night), but I truly loved Superman Returns. It just might be my favorite movie of the summer. It's a close call with Cars...

Ok, I've rambled on enough. I just had to share my love of Superman and Superman Returns.

4 comments:

Kelley Nyrae said...

I really want to see this movie. I dont know if I'd brave LA traffic, though.

I love all the pics from Arizona.

Mailyn said...

that's it, I'm officially THE only person on earth that hasn't seen either of these movies. I should kick myself.

Batman rocks! lol

Stacy~ said...

Well, I haven't seen Superman Returns, but I really want to. Thanx for the review - if I can't find anyone else to go (crazy people!) then I'll just have to go myself. I like the 2 sides of Superman. I think I'd pick him over Batman....but it all depends on who's playing the part *g*

Shelli Stevens said...

Those are two movies I really want to see! I just can never get to the movies with a toddler. Grrr.