Sunday, February 26, 2006

Something Odd...

So, I've been watching the Winter Olympics for the past couple of weeks. I really enjoy the Olympics (and sports in general), especially as I have a friend over in Torino with the Canadian Hockey team! Of course I usually know the results before watching as I constantly check the NBC Olympics website, but it's still fun to watch the TV coverage.

Periodically, I find myself checking the athlete's profiles when a commentator mentions something that I didn't quite catch or something interesting. After doing this a while, I discovered something odd. As can probably be expected, many of the athletes within the same sport date each other (this is not the odd discovery). What is odd, though, is that the fact that so and so is dating so and so is mentioned in the female athlete's profile but NOT in the male athlete's profile. I'm not necessarily saying that the person who writes these profiles sexist (for all I know different people write different profiles), but I have definitely noticed a pattern with multiple Olympic couples across a few sports. I mean, yes it may be interesting, but why not include it on BOTH profiles instead of just the one?! If it's interesting to tell me that Marlies Schild is dating Benjamin Raich, why is it not interesting to tell me that Benjamin Raich is dating Marlies Schild?

It's not something that's going to keep me up at night, but it's still something I find odd. Now I'm wondering why the heck I even notice these kind of things...

No comments: