Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It's a Miracle!

Ok, I planned to post this earlier, but lost track of time so here it is already after midnight! Oh well, I was planning to stay up to see Amos Lee on Carson Daily anway...But enough of that; on to the topic of the moment. My miracle...

I made it out of Costco last night and spent under $20!!! It's usually the other way around (I go in planning to spend $20 and end up spending $120). I put off the trip all day rationalizing that if I went close to closing time, I'd get in and out quicker. That's true, but I hate leaving things til the last minute. So I got to Costco at about 5 minutes after 8 and had 25 minutes til closing. I made the rounds and even had time to have a 5-minute debate with myself on whether or not I needed the giant pack of ziploc baggies. Now, ziploc bags were on my list, but after seeing how many come in a pack (I could bag practically every item in my entire apartment and STILL have baggies left over), I decided it was probably overkill. Which means that something will come up in the next couple of weeks where I need a bazillion baggies and I will be wishing I had bought them. Oh well, such is life.

After Costco, I headed over to Long John Silver's across the street to pick up dinner as I didn't make it to the grocery store and if I had tried to grocery shop at Costco, I would have needed the bazillion baggies. Anyway, while at LJS, I discovered something that needs to be added to the training of new employees: correct pronunciation of menu items in both singular and plural form. The woman in front of me and I both order shrimp, so the cashier yells out "20 shrimp, please!" While I'm waiting, another customer comes in and I hear the other cashier call out "5 more shrimps, please!"

Now most people probably wouldn't notice anything, but this is my dad's favorite misuse of the English language. The plural of shrimp is SHRIMP; not shrimpS, SHRIMP! One shrimp, two shrimp, red shrimp, blue shrimp as Dr. Seuss might say. It never fails to crack my dad up and now I notice it every time I hear it. This is what happens when you have an English professor for a mother (my dad's mother, not mine). I have other language pet peeves, but we'll leave those for another blog. I've already rambled on enough for now. That's another thing I probably should have warned you all about. Not only are my thoughts random, it's hard to stop me once I get started. In fact, I just started rambling about my rambling but decided to delete it. And now I'm doing it again. So without further ado, I bid you adieu.

Michelle

No comments: