Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Embarrassing Moments... and other random stuff

Wow! Three days in a row now I'm posting. I think I'm getting addicted...yikes!

You may have noticed (though I highly doubt you have) that I changed the name of the blog from Random Thoughts to Random Ramblings. I have a thing for alliteration lately and "Random Thoughts" just wasn't quite doing it for me. The new title came to me as I was falling asleep last night (well, this morning really, but that's another topic) and I like it (for now). Anyway, on to the topic of the day.

Something I was thinking about today (randomly, of course) was: Can events you can't remember be your most embarrassing moment(s)? And no, I don't mean things I've done while in a drunken stupor. As I am quite proud of proclaiming, I have never been drunk. I mean things I did in childhood that my parents (and other adults) have decided to tell me about now that I've reached adulthood. To some they may not be embarrassing, and I've certainly told enough people about them, but I cannot believe I did some of these things.

For example, you know those assignments you get in first grade where you have to complete sentences by filling in the blank? Evidently, I once completed the sentence "Most of the time I feel ______" with the word "hungry." Needless to say, my parents were mortified. They figured the teacher would think they were starving me. I, for the life of me, can't remember ever doing it!

Another lovely example is my apparent obsession with bathrooms as a toddler. My mother claims I simply had to visit every bathroom I spotted or else I threw a fit. In a Sears store I once started loudly proclaiming that I needed to use the bathroom. I continued making a scene as my poor mother dragged me out of the store. She claims everyone around her was looking at her like she was the cruelest mother in history. What they didn't know was that I had already GONE to the bathroom just 5 minutes before on the other side of the store.

So what do you think? Can events you can't remember be your most embarrassing moment(s)? Or maybe it's having to HEAR about these events that's embarrassing. Hmmm...

No comments: